Did you know that South Central Communications is a Cooperative and not a for-profit business? We operate as a cooperative that is owned and governed by its members.
Cooperatives can be formed for individuals, businesses or communities and all are defined by these attributes:
- It is owned and democratically controlled by its members—the people who use the cooperative’s services or buy its goods—not by investors.
- South Central Communications Members elect a Board of Directors and the Board sets strategic policy and hires a manager to run the day-to-day operations and carry out the strategic vision.
- A cooperative returns surplus revenues (income over expenses and investment) to members proportionate to their use of the cooperative, not proportionate to their ownership share.
- That means the more you use our services, the larger proportion you own.
- A cooperative business is motivated by service to their members, not by profit.
- The more members we have subscribing to our services, the more improvements we can then make to our services. Every member helps improve on the quality of services provided and the development of our communities.
This means that by subscribing to South Central Communications’ services, you are directly contributing to the improvement of your community and not lining the pockets of a business owner. It also means that South Central Communications is your company!
Your Community. Your Cooperative. Your SoCen.